Skip to content
Alberta DailyEst. 2026
BusinessProvince-wide

Trump pauses 50% tariffs on $28-billion in Canadian goods for three days

The White House says the pause hinges on Canada addressing provincial liquor bans, auto import quotas and dairy supply management, with Trump also citing the Keystone XL pipeline.

Why it matters

A prolonged tariff dispute or its resolution directly affects Alberta's energy exports and cross-border trade with the United States.

U.S. President Donald Trump announced late Tuesday he would delay a new round of 50 per cent tariffs on roughly $28-billion worth of Canadian goods for three days, just hours before they were set to take effect. Trump said on social media the pause reflects a pending deal with Canada, "subject to the finalization of documents," and referenced the Keystone XL pipeline in his post.

A White House proclamation said Canada has committed to removing "discriminations" against U.S. goods, naming provincial bans on American liquor, Canada's retaliatory quota on tariff-free U.S. vehicle imports, and the dairy supply management system. The U.S. Trade Representative said the deal would include broader market access for American goods, economic security commitments and digital trade alignment.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said "substantial progress" has been made but more work remains, and did not mention Keystone XL in his statement. Business groups including the Canadian Chamber of Commerce and the Canadian Federation of Independent Business welcomed the reprieve but cautioned that a temporary delay is not the same as a signed deal, noting sectoral tariffs on steel, aluminum, lumber and autos still need to be addressed.

American liquor bans imposed by several provinces after last year's tariffs remain in place everywhere except Saskatchewan and Alberta; the U.S. spirits industry says those bans have cut American exports by more than 70 per cent. Keystone XL, which would have carried Alberta oil to Nebraska before being cancelled in 2021, was revived by executive order earlier this year, though it's unclear how much it factored into the trade talks.

Compiled by the Alberta Daily Desk — an AI-written summary of reporting from the credited sources below, produced and reviewed under our editorial policy.

The Alberta Daily briefing

Alberta news, events and weather — a morning briefing, and a short evening one when the day warrants it.

Free, sent by Alberta Daily — unsubscribe anytime. Privacy policy.

More Alberta News

All news
BusinessProvince-wide

Smith warns retaliatory tariffs could raise farm equipment costs 50%

Canada and the U.S. are locked in a fresh tariff standoff after Ottawa suspended trade talks, drawing mixed reaction from provincial leaders including Alberta's premier.

Sources: Lethbridge News Now, rdnewsNOW, CHAT News Today, EverythingGP

BusinessProvince-wide

U.S. imposes 50% tariffs on $28B in Canadian goods as talks collapse

Canada's business and labour leaders warned the new tariffs could force exporters to cut jobs or shut down entirely after trade negotiations broke off in Ottawa.

Sources: Lethbridge News Now, rdnewsNOW, CHAT News Today, EverythingGP

BusinessProvince-wide

Canada-U.S. trade talks collapse as 50% tariffs hit $28B in exports

Prime Minister Mark Carney pulled negotiators from Washington after a midnight deadline passed without a deal, promising dollar-for-dollar retaliation against the new U.S. tariffs.

Sources: CHAT News Today, EverythingGP, Lethbridge News Now, rdnewsNOW