Alberta still searching for carrier to replace WestJet in Medicine Hat
More than seven weeks after WestJet's last flight, provincial officials say they are still evaluating proposals to bring scheduled air service back to the city.
Why it matters
The loss of scheduled flights has left Medicine Hat residents without direct commercial air access, affecting travel and regional economic connections.
The Alberta government says it is continuing to look for a carrier to restore passenger air service to Medicine Hat Regional Airport, following WestJet's exit from the route on June 24. Earlier this summer the province issued a request for expressions of interest, asking airlines to submit proposals by July 6 for scheduled regional service.
Minister of Transportation and Economic Corridors Devin Dreeshen said Tuesday that work on the file is ongoing. He pointed to Saskatchewan's approach, where the provincial government subsidizes a set number of seats on chosen routes, as one model being considered for Alberta. Under that system, the subsidy only applies if passenger numbers fall short, giving carriers assurance they won't operate at a loss.
Dreeshen said the province is also weighing whether combining passenger and cargo flights could make routes more viable for certain providers, since some airlines can run both services together. He said the government is working with regional airlines and airports across Alberta to boost service, and that officials are still assessing which carriers could best fill the gap left by WestJet in Medicine Hat.
Compiled by the Alberta Daily Desk — an AI-written summary of reporting from the credited sources below, produced and reviewed under our editorial policy.