GoFundMe seeks $45,000 for Red Deer senior after uninsured home fire
The 70-year-old man, Larry, escaped safely from the Aug. 3 fire in the Kentwood neighbourhood, but had no home insurance to cover repairs.
Why it matters
The case highlights the financial vulnerability faced by uninsured homeowners after a disaster, prompting community fundraising to fill the gap.
A GoFundMe campaign has been launched for a 70-year-old Red Deer man whose home was severely damaged by fire last week in the Kentwood neighbourhood. Red Deer Emergency Services responded just before 5:30 p.m. on Aug. 3, finding the fire outside the structure and moving into the attic space. Crews arrived within five minutes and remained on scene for about 90 minutes.
Organizer Rachel Barsalou said the homeowner, named Larry, made it out safely but the damage was so severe it remains unclear whether the house can be saved. A structural engineer is set to assess the property. Complicating matters, Larry did not have home insurance, leaving no coverage for repairs.
The campaign is aiming to raise $45,000 to help with immediate needs including temporary or future housing, clothing, personal necessities and cleanup costs. Larry is also working with the Red Deer Native Friendship Society to apply for housing assistance while he decides on next steps.
The City of Red Deer said the cause of the fire has not yet been determined.
Compiled by the Alberta Daily Desk — an AI-written summary of reporting from the credited sources below, produced and reviewed under our editorial policy.