Skip to content
Alberta DailyEst. 2026
NewsEdmonton

Man on trial in Edmonton Chinatown deaths says he has no memory of attacks

Justin Bone told court he recalls waking up at a police station after days of drug use and wandering the city, but nothing of the alleged assaults.

Why it matters

The case is tied to a string of violent incidents in Edmonton's Chinatown that raised concerns about safety in the community.

Justin Bone, 40, took the stand in his own defence Wednesday at his second-degree murder trial in connection with the May 2022 deaths of Hung Trang and Ban Phuc Hoang in Edmonton's Chinatown.

Bone testified that in the days before his arrest he had been dropped off by RCMP and spent time wandering different parts of the city while using drugs and searching for somewhere to stay. He said his next clear memory is waking up at a police station, where detectives told him he was under arrest in connection with two assaults.

He told the court he does not remember carrying out the attacks that led to the deaths of Trang and Hoang. The trial is ongoing.

Compiled by the Alberta Daily Desk — an AI-written summary of reporting from the credited sources below, produced and reviewed under our editorial policy.

The Alberta Daily briefing

Alberta news, events and weather — a morning briefing, and a short evening one when the day warrants it.

Free, sent by Alberta Daily — unsubscribe anytime. Privacy policy.

More Alberta News

All news